If you and your partner both want to lose weight, why not do it together?
Many people say they’d love to have a weight loss partner to keep them on track. Weight loss motivation and persistence can be challenging for some people while losing weight, and taking the challenge with your partner can help with this.
There are lots of ways to support each other through weight loss, such as:
- Do the meal planning and food shopping together with Jenny Craig, to double the number of delicious ideas you can come up with for eating well.
- If you have kids, do a child-minding swap so that you each have solo time to do some exercise.
- Work out together where possible. Having a workout partner is the dream in weight loss for men and women, so utilise your partner’s exercising strengths. This can help you both find exercises you enjoy doing, and make the extra challenging workouts much more fun.
- Find healthier ways to have fun. Instead of going out for a few drinks or watching TV, encourage each other to discover ways to spend time together that help your health, like going out for a jog or enjoying an alcohol-free night out.
- Ask your partner what they need from you. The types of support you can give need to suit what your partner is looking for, so have regular conversations about what each of you needs. Checking in on how each of you is feeling will help to vent frustrations, remind each other why you’re doing it, and make your changes last into the long-term.
- Put some romance into your weight loss. Try some activities that will increase your bond, like an after dinner stroll holding hands, eat a home dinner by candlelight, or take a Pilates class together. Your relationship will strengthen as the weight drops off – win, win!
There are a few things that are best to avoid as you travel this path together, though. It’s best not to comment on how much weight you think your partner should lose, or tell them that you think they should look a certain way; it’s also best to avoid giving each other too much advice, as this can become annoying to your partner. Remember, doing this together is about providing support rather than criticising.
Ultimately, there aren’t many ways to show your love better than helping each other live healthier lives.start your journey now