Staying healthy over the festive season is a common struggle for many people but it’s not impossible. The challenge is to find a balance between enjoying the celebrations and sticking to your goals and plan.
However, an all or nothing attitude can work against you. If you try to withdraw from all celebrations and refusing all festive foods, then you might just find yourself craving the exact things you’re trying to avoid.
Christmas time should be enjoyable and so too should end of year celebrations. And with a little preparation you can enjoy them without over doing it. Here are some tips on how to stay healthy while still enjoying the festivities:
- Don’t save yourself for a party, instead eat at regular intervals with the same healthy meals and snacks as you would normally eat before the event. Going hungry may increase your chance of overdoing it at the party.
- Take time to enjoy your drinks. If you drink alcohol and there is alcohol at a celebration, choose a special wine or cocktail and really take note of the flavours and the experience. Also try to limit to just one or two for the day.
- If you have a lot of events, choose one or two to relish in the foods. For the remaining events, choose moderation and opt for the healthier foods like vegetables, lean roast meats, fruits and alcohol-free drinks.
- If you do over indulge, be kind to yourself. It was just one event. Simply get back to your healthy balanced habits straight away and move on. One night or day won’t unravel days, weeks or months of living healthy.
- Get support, recruit a friend or family member that also wants to stay healthy over Christmas and share your challenges and celebrate your wins.