Serves: 8 Prep time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
Grocery count (per serve): 1¼ Fat serves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 2 red capsicums, seeds removed and cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 medium tomatoes, seeds removed and diced
- 65ml red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp natural sweetener
- 2 tbsp baby capers, rinsed
- ⅓ cup pitted olives, rinsed
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Heat 1½ tbsp of olive oil in a large non-stick fry pan over a medium to high heat. Add the eggplant and fry until golden brown, about 5-6 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towel.
- Heat the remaining ½ tbsp of oil in the same pan over medium to high heat and add the capsicums, onion and garlic. Fry for 5-6 minutes, until golden and soft. Add the tomatoes, reduce the heat slightly, and simmer for 12-15 minutes. Add the vinegar, sugar, capers and olives and cook for a further 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced and beginning to thicken.
- Return the eggplant to the pan, stir through the pine nuts and season with pepper. Stir through the parsley just before serving. Enjoy!
Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.