This hearty and warming recipe for pumpkin soup can be whipped up quickly, is low is kilojoules but provides a good hit of fibre from the pumpkin to keep you feeling full for longer.
Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes Total time: 40 minutes Serves: 4
Nutrition per Serving:
Grocery Count (per serve): 1 Grain serve, ½ Fat serve
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ brown onion, chopped
- 2 tsp plain flour
- 1L vegetable or chicken stock, reduced-sodium
- 4 cups pumpkin, diced
- ½ tsp garlic, minced
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- 4 tbsp. fat free plain yoghurt
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Add the olive oil to a large saucepan or pot and heat over a medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring for 2 minutes, or until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Add the garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, and diced pumpkin, and stir for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook for 30 minutes, or until the pumpkin is soft, stirring occasionally.
- Blend the soup using a Bamix or stick mixer to your desired consistency.
- Ladle the soup into 4 soup bowls and top with the yogurt and nutmeg.