Do you feel like there aren’t enough hours in the day? Is your schedule maxed out with no time for you? Relax and remember that every step counts. Every time you move your body you burn kilojoules. When you walk the dog, clean the house, or run errands you could be getting closer to your weight loss goal.
Here are 6 easy tips to maximise the activity you’re already doing:
- When cleaning, put on some fast music and move to the groove. You might finish the cleaning more quickly, freeing up your time for something else. And you’ll be burning more kilojoules to help you lose weight.
- When shopping, go to the beverage aisle first and load up the bottom of your cart with bottled water (even if you don’t need it). The extra weight will act as a resistance tool and you’ll burn a few extra kilojoules.
- You burn more kilojoules standing than sitting, so take standing breaks whenever you can. You could also try standing up during conference calls.
- Take the long way to the bathroom or kitchen. Always take the stairs between floors. Try to squeeze in a 10-minute walk on your lunch break. You’ll clear your mind as well as burn some kilojoules.
- When running errands, park as far away from the entrance of the store as you can, and power walk in and out. When the kids do their after-school activities, why not get involved too? You can walk around the field or area outside their class while they are occupied. Make it your habit to keep moving whenever possible.
- No time to get to a class or the gym? Workout at home with an exercise DVD, resistance bands or free weights.
Remember, any activity is good activity. Look for little ways to burn a few extra kilojoules every day and it will add up to feeling better and getting you closer to your weight loss goals.