Life is busy: when we’re working and looking after the family, household and pets, we often put ourselves last.
But it’s important to prioritise ourselves. Here’s why (and how to do it):
The benefits of putting yourself first
Putting yourself first means you do the things that matter to you. They may be things that you need – like looking after your health – or activities that you want to do because they’re fun or they recharge you.
Whether it’s a need or a want, it’s a valid reason to take some time for yourself.
When you look after yourself well, you can be healthier, happier, more productive, and achieve the things that are important to you.
Taking care of yourself also helps you to look after others. The more you put yourself first, the more patience and ability you have available to give to those who need you.
As they say, you need to fill your own cup before you can give to others.
How to put yourself first
It’s important to put yourself first as often as possible – but that doesn’t mean it’s easy. It can feel uncomfortable, but it’s worth it for all those benefits to your health and wellbeing.
Here are some ideas for how to put yourself first:
- Change how you think about looking after yourself. It’s not selfish – it’s important and normal to have (and to meet) your own needs and wants.
- Prioritise your health. Taking the time to prepare healthy meals that make you feel good, and to exercise every day, will positively affect every part of your life.
- What do you want to do? Take a small amount of time each day or week to do something that you enjoy doing, whether it’s a creative hobby, going for a walk, having a quiet cup of tea, or catching up with a friend.
- Set boundaries. Being there for others is a great thing, but it’s also important to set some boundaries around what works for you. Think about what limits you need to set, and be strict about keeping them.
- Set your own goals. Consider what your values and ambitions are, and set some goals that matter to you. If weight loss is one of your goals, for whatever reason, our Jenny Craig consultants can support and help.