An important part of the weight loss journey is overcoming the negative behaviours and thoughts that can lead to the weight gain. There are a lot of dramatic physical and lifestyle changes that come with losing weight and sometimes, even once you’re halfway to or at your goal weight, those feelings and low self-esteem can still plague you. It is important to make sure that you are not just reaching your goal weight but also striving for the happiest and healthiest version of you, which means a happy and healthy mindset. Here are some simple ways that will have you on the way to banishing those bad thoughts for good and learning to love you again.
- Take time to reflect on how far you have come and be proud of your achievements – It is easy to get lost in the journey and forget to take the time to appreciate how far you have truly come. This is not just the kilos you have lost but the positive changes you have made to your life. Taking a minute and really being proud of yourself will have an amazing effect on your self-esteem and help remind you what you can achieve and how special you are.
- Focus on the positive way you feel and not on the physical changes – Weight loss isn’t just about the numbers, it is about how you feel. What have you achieved since you reached your goal and what can you do now that you couldn’t before? These are the most important things. By focussing on these, and even taking some time to set goals and things you would like to do in the future, will help to remind you of the positives rather than just how you look.
- Wake up with a positive thought – Start your day positive, this will help you maintain a good mindset for the rest of the day. Remind yourself you are proud of your efforts and you are amazing. You will be surprised how quickly those positive thoughts will replace the negative ones.
- Treat yourself the way you would like to be treated – We are often our harshest critics. We berate ourselves if we fail and don’t put faith in our abilities. It is time to stop being so hard on yourself and start talking to yourself the way you would someone you love. Would you tell your family they can’t reach their dreams? Then don’t tell yourself. Be positive and treat yourself with love.
- Talk about your journey with your loved ones – Take the time to sit down and really talk about your journey with your family or friends, discuss the best parts and the things you have struggled with. Sometimes joint reflection will help you see the things you missed and you will be surprised how proud your loved ones are of you and the inspiring changes that they have witnessed that you may be unaware of.