Intermittent fasting has quickly become one of the most popular diets and health practices – more and more research continues to support its effectiveness for weight management and improved health. Learn how Jenny Craig can help you in adopting intermittent fasting as a part of your daily life.
What is Intermittent Fasting?
You may already be practicing a form of intermittent fasting just by following your usual daily routine. To fast, is to abstain from all or some kinds of food and drinks. There are many different fasting regimes, our Max Up Weight Loss Program follows the 14:10 regime, a pattern known as time restricted eating. On Max Up, you’ll have a 10-hour period of nourishment during the day, in which you’ll enjoy your Jenny Craig menu. Followed by a 14-hour period of rejuvenation, which gives your body the rest it needs to prepare for the next day.
What are the benefits of Intermittent Fasting?
Research suggests that having a longer break between when you stop eating in the evening and when you start eating again in the morning may help to improve your weight loss results. Combining intermittent fasting with a proven weight management program, like Jenny Craig’s Max Up, has been shown to result in significant weight loss.* On Max Up, members lost an average of 6.9 kilograms and 7.8 centimetres off their waist in the first 4 weeks.# Research shows following an intermittent fasting regime can improve blood glucose control and insulin levels, reducing your risk of developing diabetes in the long term. Emerging evidence also suggests intermittent fasting may improve your total cholesterol levels, gut microbiome and immune health.
Tips to make Intermittent Fasting part of your daily life:
1. Plan your mealtimes – Decide what time best suits your lifestyle to start and end your fast, and plan when you will have your meals within the 10-hour nourishment period. You may find it challenging to wait 2 hours after your Recharge Bar to have breakfast, if you can manage your hunger during the fasting period, why not have your Recharge Bar with breakfast at the end of your 14-hour fast.
2. Staying hydrated – Hydration is especially important when following an intermittent fasting regime, not only does it keep you from feeling the effects of being dehydrated, it is sometimes easy to mistake being thirsty for being hungry. Remember you can consume any drink that doesn’t contain kilojoules during your fasting period. So, if you don’t particularly like plain water, you can also have sparkling water, unsweetened black coffee, black tea and herbal teas.
3. Include a variety of nutritious foods in your diet – Include a variety of fruits, vegetables and reduced fat dairy foods to accompany your Jenny Craig meals during the 10-hour nourishment period. Jenny Craig’s revolutionary Recharge Bar has been specially formulated to be high in fat to support your intermittent fasting routine.
4. Understand your hunger won’t last forever – You may feel hungry as your body adjusts to the new fasting schedule – this is totally normal. Studies have shown that hunger levels often remain stable and for some people may actually decrease when following an intermittent fasting regime.
5. Plan time for Exercise – Talk with your personal Coach to plan your weekly exercise. You may not feel like doing an intense work out early in the morning (ie. at the end your fasting period), this may be better suited during your nourishment period or at the beginning of your fasting period. Low intensity exercises such as walking or stretching, may be better suited to an early morning exercise.
To reap the benefits of intermittent fasting, sign up today with Jenny Craig to start your weight loss journey on our Max Up Weight Loss Program.
#Based on a Jenny Craig study, average weight loss was 6.9kg and average waist size reduction was 7.8cms in the first 4 weeks for those who completed the Max Up program, versus 3.83kg on our Classic Program.