Are you the kind of person that puts yourself last? Whether it’s a demanding job, caring for family or life admin keeping you busy, it can be difficult to find time to care for yourself.
Give yourself permission to bring self-care into your day. You’ll soon find that recharging your batteries makes you happier, healthier and better equipped to support others in your life.
Simple ways to bring more self-care into your life:
- Create a ‘ta-da’ list instead of a ‘to-do’ list. It’s a collection of the things you’ve achieved today, this week or even in your whole life. Celebrate your achievements!
- Say no when you’re asked for a ‘quick favour’ or ‘get together’ you don’t want to attend. Enjoy time to yourself instead.
- Go to the library. Browse the aisles randomly and see what books take your fancy. Perhaps this could be the start of a new hobby?
- Look for meetup groups in your local area. Swallow your nerves and turn up with a smile.
- Treat yourself to a massage. Whether it’s a budget 15 minute neck and shoulders session or a full pamper at a day spa, it will leave you rested and rejuvenated.
- Be a tourist in your own city. Visit that gallery, attraction or restaurant you’ve been considering.
- Create a positive morning routine. It could include outdoor exercise, mindfulness, a moment in the sunshine, planning your day or a soothing cuppa. Anything that gets your day started right.
- Organise a get-together with friends you value. Don’t wait to be invited, be the one to suggest a movie, sports game or dinner.
- Commit to an entire month of writing only positive comments on social media. Give compliments, acknowledge and thank others and praise the achievements of your friends and colleagues.
- Speaking of social media, unfollow 10 accounts who make you feel bad. If you unfairly compare yourself to someone’s perfect life, or you don’t like their negativity, let them go.
By making a start in self-care today you’ll be on your way to building better habits and a happier life. Enjoy!