Makes 1 large jar
You will need:
- Spray oil
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp minced ginger (or 2cm piece grated)
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 small red chilli (optional)
- 4 tbsp of tomato paste
- 10 tomatoes, chopped into 2cm pieces
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 tbsp natural sweetener, e.g. stevia
- 2 tsp seeded mustard
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of pepper
- Lightly coat a large non-stick fry pan with spray oil. Over a low-medium heat sauté onion, garlic, ginger, oregano, parsley and chilli for 2-3 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Add tomato paste and cook for another minute, stirring well.
- Add remaining ingredients, reduce heat and cover, allowing to simmer gently for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove lid from fry pan and allow relish to continue simmering for a further 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Spoon relish into sterilised jar and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Note: If you prefer a smoother ketchup-style sauce, use a stick mixer to puree the relish after it’s cooled in the fry pan, before pouring into jars.